On my latest trip to my favourite city, I discovered some new spots and visited old favourites. Below is a round-up of my favourite NYC hits for brunch, cocktails, shopping and caffeine. Enjoy! x
1. Sweet Science - Sometimes bars look scary in the daytime. Sweet Science, in Brooklyn is a cozy day spot for brunch with graffiti art and natural light. Try: the black bean burgers.
2. Jack's Wife Freda - I've read about this trendy SoHo brunch spot, and had been meaning to check it out. The food is South African Israeli Jewish inspired. Try: the Mediterranean breakfast. Note: it's a bit loud on Sundays, and you may have to wait in line. Do some shopping before!
3. Warby Parker - I've been a fan of Warby Parker since their initial launch. Warby provides affordable eye wear and donates a pair of glasses to someone in need with every purchase. My friend Cam is an optometrist at the Upper East Side location and I loved their library-inspired space.
4. Dunwell Donuts - I brought this place up before, but I can't seem to walk by without grabbing a vegan donut. This time I was up on that vanilla and chocolate sprinkles flavour.
5. Stumptown Coffee - Coffee is my jam in every city I visit. When heading to New York, I no longer visit tourist attractions, but instead try to find new cafes. Stumptown has a few locations, and I chose to visit their shop located in The Ace Hotel. Notes: great coffee, cool lighting.
6. Roebling Tea Room - I have a pen pal (more on that later) and we met at The Roebling Tea room in Williamsburg for a catch up and cocktails. The bar/restaurant/tea room is moody and lush, with the most perfect windows. I loved, loved, loved it.
7. The Ace Hotel - I found myself in the lobby of The Ace Hotel (see photo below) and I did what any aspiring writer on vacation does: I found a spot, opened my laptop and typed until I forgot what time it was. I was surrounded by other people doing the same thing, and I felt like I was transported to some hipster college library. I'd definitely consider staying at the hotel in the future.